How To Prevent a House Fire
House fires are one of the most devastating and life-threatening events that can happen to you. The good news is that they're avoidable if you take some simple steps. In this post, we'll outline how to prevent your house from catching fire. We'll also discuss what circumstances increase your risk of burning down—and what may be done to lower it again. Let's get started!
Fire hazards are everywhere in the home. If you can't see them, they may still be present and waiting to ignite. The following are some of the most common fire hazards in houses:
- Electricity – Electrical wiring that's not up to code or power cords running under rugs can result in electrical fires.
- Smoke detectors – Many homes have smoke detectors with dead batteries or missing battery covers. These aren't working as well as they should be, putting lives at risk when a fire breaks out.
- Candles – Candles cause over 12 percent of all residential fires each year (according to NFPA). It only takes a few moments for a candle flame to spread across your living room carpeting and send everything up in flames!
Another thing you can do to prevent many house fires is keep lighters and matches away from kids. Lighters, along with other sources of ignition such as candles and fireplaces, are a major cause of residential fires in the United States. The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) estimates that two thirds of these fires are caused by smoking materials or careless use of candles—and that's just one source!
If you smoke indoors (or if anyone else who lives in your home does), please don't leave lighters or matches within reach of children. If kids come over to play at your house, make sure they don't have access to any matches or lighters that are lying around—no matter how safe they think their parents might be! This is especially important during the winter when everyone's wearing gloves anyway.
You should also store flammable liquids like gasoline in metal cans with screw-on lids instead of plastic bottles because metal will not burst into flames as easily as plastic if there is an explosion from static electricity buildup or friction caused by moving parts inside them (like pumps).
Install Smoke Alarms and Carbon Monoxide Detectors
Smoke detectors should be installed on every floor of your home, including the basement and attic. Carbon monoxide detectors should be installed near sleeping areas, such as bedrooms, or in the garage where cars are parked.
Smoke alarms have a limited lifespan, usually 10 years. After that time, they must be replaced because they may not work properly any longer. The same is true for carbon monoxide detectors; although they're not required to be replaced as often as smoke alarms are — typically every 7-10 years — it's still wise to check them regularly to ensure they're working correctly so you can get an early warning in case of fire or CO poisoning before it becomes too late to escape safely.
Build and Practice a Fire Safety Plan
Practice your fire safety plan every month. You can practice with your children, pets, and neighbors or anyone else who lives in the house or might be visiting. Don't miss opportunities to remind people of what they should do. For example: If you're cooking a meal that involves grease or oil on the stovetop and someone is near the stove, warn them about it! Make sure everyone knows where the master key is kept if there's an emergency (either lock their door from outside or make sure someone else has a copy).
By taking the time and effort to learn about the most common causes of house fires, you can help protect your home from being destroyed by fire. We hope this article has given you some valuable information on how to prevent a fire in your Arnold, MO home, so that when one does happen, it doesn’t destroy everything. If you do have a fire in your home, know that there are steps for first responders who will come help save those inside as well as their homes. Take care of yourself and others around you so that we can all live safely in our communities without fear of tragedy striking again tomorrow. If you do experience a fire, call SERVPRO of Arnold/Jefferson County to restore your home!